View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Thanks for explaining that to me. It does throw an interesting twist into trades.

I just don't want to lose him for nothing in a buyout (Need to recoup something from that awful trade) and Ottawa is a good trade opportunity now. There's not really any guys on the UFA market to fill their need for a top 4 guy nor players of Ballard's calibre/pedigree. In the offseason or at the draft with FA rolling around, that might not be the case.
I feel you. Ballard needs to be retained until the deadline I feel, both as an insurance marker and to raise his value. And, at that time, I feel as if Gillis will just keep him for depth. If we lose him for nothing that's okay with me, he did serve some minimal purpose while here. We made a bad trade, it happens.

In regards to the salary retention "facts" I've given you, they are far from certain. I'm speculating to an extent based on an early TSN publish that, word for word, outlined salary retention in that way. There is still a chance the cap hit may be tied to salary retention, in which case this would be useless in the case of raising a players value via holding on to partial salary. I'll be keeping an eye on this as more CBA facts are released.