View Single Post
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I disagree with your opinion of Briere (shouldn't clutch be defined with specific, contextual examples of goals, not a +/- stat?), but agree that he should be bought out. It makes too much sense to buy him out.
The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote