View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Bing-Bing-Bing, we have a winner!

Yes, we do have an issue with our prospects having top-6 potential. The only 3 guys I see who have a good shot at being above average second liners are: St. Croix, Thomas and Fast, and I'm not particularly excited about any of them.

Sure someone like Miller or Lindberg can make it, but they are far more likely to be good third liners.

This is why I was advocating that we go for the high-risk, high-return guys who have some kind of a flaw (small size, injury, may not come over to the NHL) that caused them to slip to us from the top-5. There are always guys with top-5 level talent who slip because of other issues. They don't look great on paper because it is easier to draft a 6-3 200 pound guy and pretend that he has the skill that he really doesn't have than it is to draft a highly-talented player who's 5-9 170. You can imagine skill that doesn't exist, but it's hard to imagine height that isn't there, so fans inevitably prefer big players.

Nobody ever wonders: if they are equally as talented, how come a 6-3 player is ranked the same as a 5-9 player? Shouldn't he be ranked significantly higher? Oh, but of course the 6-3 player who is ranked the same as a 5-9 player isn't nearly as talented. But we can't see talent and we can see size, so let's draft size!
The Rangers have had a philosophy of filling in their depth from within. They feel they can acquire a few top end players to offset the hard working blue collar players they develop. I don't see how it hasn't worked up to this point.

The drafting philosophy you want to divert from was the reason the Rangers were able to acquire Nash and not skip a beat.

They want players who will play Ranger hockey. That's hard nosed, 2way hockey. They take chances on players later in the draft and use their higher picks to draft more sure fire players. Size is a factor because of the necessity to play that style I described above. Unfortunately a player like Grimaldi would find that difficult

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote