View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
A team can trade a player and agree to share part of the player's cap hit with the other team.

Example:

Rangers could trade Richards to Phoenix and agree to retain 50% of his cap hit. Rangers would incur a 3.33M Cap charge each year while Richards plays in Phoenix. Phoenix would incur a 3.33M Cap charge each year while Richards plays in Phoenix. And the Rangers would also send Phoenix a check every year for 50% of what Phoenix paid to Richards.

Edit: The above example might not be within the restrictions of the clause because the Rangers would be retaining in excess of 3M. I've seen some sources report that the most they can retain is 3M per player. The general point stands though.

I think I understand this, but let me just be very clear here because it sounds too good to be true.

The Rangers can acquire Jagr from Dallas with a cap hit of only $2,255 million with the Stars paying for the rest. This would allow the stars to get a greater return, while allowing the Rangers more room under the cap. If they can find a team in a true rebuild mode, they could acquire a few very useful pieces this way.

A team might decide to sacrifice money and present cap space in return for getting a first rounder rather than a second rounder.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote