View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 02:16 AM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
I've tried and failed in the past.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: "You tried and you failed. The lesson here is never try."

What I've tried and failed with in the past is such:

Going off of Vancouver's needs it would be a top six winger (preferably playmaking), a 3rd line C who can step up into the top six if needed, and a 6th/7th defenseman.

Best fit from Toronto's perspective is likely something along the line of:

Top six winger: Kulemin (ugh - that would hurt and not a playmaker) or MacArthur (more of a playmaker that I know you guys aren't high on apparently).

3rd line C: Connolly (expensive but contract ends at end of year. Solid defensively and could slide into the 2C role if needed but has injury concerns) or Bozak (same as Connolly but younger, cheaper and more potential but less offensive upside and no injury concerns). McClement may also be an option but he just signed and is exclusively defensive.

6/7th D: Cody Franson

Sweetener: draft pick or prospect not named Rielly. Kadri could be in play but he's worth a lot to the Leafs.

If a winger is moved from Toronto Raymond could possibly come back as well. Not sure if it would be better to use him as a stop gap type or just roll with Kadri/Frattin instead.
Not bad and I appreciate the effort in the explanation:

Many of the pieces you suggested make some sense to Vancouver, and do not remove core pieces from your group. From your suggestion I would consider:

Kulemin - MacArthur is not much of an upgrade on pieces we have. He might be better than Raymond but pretty close. Kulemin did not produce much last year and had a breakout year before. Seems like he is a career 40-45 point guy who is solid defensively. Good player upgrades Vancouver a little, but is not a huge loss for Toronto

Bozak - Future UFA/rental, good fill in guy for Vancouver

Kadri - solid prospect not lived up to potential yet.

Franson - depth defenceman for Vancouver. Value is relatively low because he does not want to sign back with Toronto

For

Luongo - I think speaks for himself

Raymond - replaces Kulemin on 3rd line. In similar situation, had a breakout year, but has not repeated like Kulemin