01-08-2013, 02:24 AM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
unfortunately the cap is only going down to ~$64mil not $60mil

Boston - Horton and Thomas are coming off the books; $57mil - 16 players
Chicago- $60.9-17 players
Minnesota- Backstrom will be a UFA and maybe allow Parrish's buy out cap hit to not be counted.
Philly-Pronger on LTIR won't count
SJ may lose Clowe and Murray to free agency

I disagree about acquiring a rental for the playoffs as long it's someone like Iginla for below his true trade value. This year it should be a buyers market for most of the season.
Yes and no - Boston still has to lock up Rask (I believe he'd get a raise, but his salary is pretty hefty already) and add another D-man if they don't re-sign Ference. This would be a team that we could trade in only hockey deals with, where we give up talent, and we take talent back, just with a higher price tag.

Chicago would have to make decisions on Stalberg, Frolik, and Leddy - plus, McNeill will be in their lineup in 2 years, and his entry level deal will be about what Stalberg's hometown discount may be. They might have to clear room, given who they have on contract for the next 3 years, including this year.

All of those teams have scenarios that play out where they might move a piece now, prepping for some real tough decisions about who to keep. Maybe I'm buying into teams reducing their salary sooner, rather than later, but I think these are the only teams poised to reduce their salary. All other teams are fine for next year, in relation to cap space...