View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I like this team, and me and you are very similar. However, we differ on Bergeron. He did not have a good tournament in Vancouver. He was terrible in the faceoffs, had his minutes drastically cut, had Crosby removed from his line, and was invisible most of the time. He contributed nothing offensively and was lacklustre defensively. I have others ahead of him. He was a major disappointment in Vancouver, and on the big ice, i would go in an another direction for Sochi.
Re: Bergeron - Its been documented that he had an injured groin (IIRC) going into the 2010 Olympics, then injured his wrist in the first game. He actually missed quite a bit of time immediately after the Olympics. I agree with you that he was simply not good at all in Vancouver, for the reasons you mentioned above. I saw Yzerman's point in selecting him for the team in 2010, but can admit that he was a bit of a "reach" for that team and probably should have been replaced before the tournament since he wasn't 100%.

Still, he's a much better player now than he was even in 2009-2010, Canada's best defensive forward (with potential for offensive production), best RH'ed faceoff, outstanding on the PK, and has excelled in some huge playoff games since then. If Yzerman is looking to bring a defensive-oriented forward to Sochi, then we have no one better than Bergeron.