View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
After seeing the details of the back-diving contract penalties, I think teams will want to wait out Gillis a little longer so he absorbs more of the future cap hit. If I'm the Panthers, I would totally wait until the offseason to even consider making a trade for Luongo. That would push more of the retirement money onto the Canucks when Luongo retires.

And then another question is how much of Luongo's salary would the Canucks be willing to absorb in a trade? I assume 50% is not gonna happen but is 25% too much to expect? That would equate to 1.325M in cap hit being retained by the Canucks and 1.6785M in actual salary being paid. That would make Luongo's cap hit under $4M and his salary just over $5M which seems more palatable to more teams.

I doubt the Canucks retain cap-hit _if_ the deal is to a budget team. Nor would the budget team want the cap-hit to be lowered further than it is, they would want it at 5.3m.

I think Luongo gets carried into the season. This will be a long haul for VAN. They have to evaluate the new CBA and everything they can do within it. What's more, they'll want to see how certain things play out in FLA, TBay, WSH, EDM, CHI etc... They should wait.