Thread: Goaltending
View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
So now Bishop is a bandage player? No, he was one of the best goalie prospects not in the NHL when we got him. That's the perception problem you have... Maybe he was a "bandage player" last year but he never lost his value or the fact that he is a young talented and developped goalie... So not only we used him as a "band-aid" for our playoffs hopes, but we also got a great prospect in the process... There's no garantee a mid 2nd round pick would have reached that level of utility.

Sure we are good at drafting but they can't strike Silfverberg, Wiercioch and Lehner prospects each and every time.

If we fail to maintain/upgrade his value and let him go at the end of this season for nothing, that's where we will fail (well not really a fail because we already USED Bishop and will continue to do so this season), not in the trade itself...

That's like saying drafting Luc Bourdon was mistake, the guy died. Or saying the Hossa-Heatley was a big mistake because Heatley turned his back on us a few years later... Revisionnist history and hindsight... that's where you're positionning yourself already... It doesn't work like that in my books.
Bishop becomes a bandage player if his sole purpose for the team becomes that stretch to end the 2011/2012 season. At the moment that is not the case and how this season plays out will determine my opinion on that status. You can't say that the Senators acquired a great prospect in the process if he walks at the end of the year because he was barely here for 1.5 seasons. Essentially the Senators would have gained a "rental" prospect. Anyways pretty clear nothing is getting accomplished here. You believe giving up second round picks for depth is a swell idea and I believe otherwise.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote