View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Yes, allow us to blatantly ignore the notable gap in statistics between Schneider and Reimer. Even a large portion of Leaf nation acknowledges Schneider is by far the superior goaltender, never mind just about every analyst. You would be alone in believing the two are even remotely comparable beyond games played.

Schneider has proven stellar at every level since the onset of his career. He currently is playing at a comparable level to an elite goaltender and posted league records as a backup with absolutely insane stats. A few games watching him play and you can see quite early he has franchise tender practically engraved.

That said, I acknowledge he lacks longevity at the NHL level but I do not believe Gardiner+Kadri/1st (2014) is an outrageous demand. Steep perhaps but nothing more.
I'm not ignoring the statistical differences between the two goaltenders, simply taking them into context of the relative roles that each has played in the ~70 games of their respective careers.

Asking for Gardiner+Kadri is an outrageous demand from Toronto. The last thing we need to do is part with our standout defenceman for an unproven goaltender with a big contract. It just reeks of Vesa Toskala 2.0.