View Single Post
01-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Join Date: Mar 2011
Originally Posted by
I don't believe "giving up second round picks for depth is a swell idea", my thinking is really not as linear...
I think sacrificing a 2nd is worth it for :
- A better chance to make the playoffs (lot of $$$ for the franchise) and not rely on Alex Auld or a 19 y/o goalie
- Getting a back-up for 2012-13 (as it was clear Auld was not going to get the job anymore)
- Getting a 25 y/o goalie prospect who has dominated the AHL before
- Fixing the goaltending pipeline for years to come
- Wake-up call for Lehner, now you have solid internal competition long-term
I could find several additional arguments
Ok now is it not the job of a responsible General Manager to find a player that meets those requirements that the team can hang on to? This entire discussion is pointless until the Bishop situation is determined. If he walks I think it is unfortunate that Ottawa has no second round pick in a deep draft and if he stays then awesome. I have never once said I dislike the Bishop trade. I just will not look at it as fondly if he leaves the organization as a UFA in the summer.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Yokai