View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Pelle31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Most Flyers fans would probably describe the next 48 games as a serious measure of Bryz's longterm stay. I don't think a single fan defended the contract the Flyers gave him even before he had the rollercoaster year he had. With an amnesty option, it's simply sound asset mangement to consider whether Bryzgalov is worth keeping in spite of his horrible deal, which includes a full NMC.

As for the discussion of Luongo and Schnieder.... Luongo has an asset cost I assume? Then you add in a contract, having to use an amnesty on Bryz, and you leave yourself asking "Are we that much better off with Luongo, a longterm cash backout to Bryz and without the assets used to acquire Luongo"?

Schnieder presumably as an even higher asset cost than a guy like Markstrom while also being signed to a more expensive contract (and yes, with more experience and demonstrated success).
Agreed, I don't know too many Flyers fans who were happy with Holmgren basically outbidding himself when he signed Bryzgalov. But I think Holmgren had no choice because the decision to sign Bryzgalov was coming from Ed Snider. Now with the amnesty option plus Snider's history of making changes without worry about the cost leads me to believe that Bryzgalov has basically this shortened season to prove himself otherwise he'll be gone. Hopefully Holmgren won't be stupid enough to buyout Bryzgalov out before he has his new goalie signed but nothing would surprise me.

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote