Old
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I haven't "missed" anything. Let me try again:

I have no problem with people who want to say that Couturier is far better than Plekanec at age 18/19. Why would I? However, that does not mean Couturier is better than Plekanec right now (as some have suggested), nor does it mean he WILL be better than Plekanec when he does hit the age Plekanec currently is at. It definitely doesn't mean Couturier would be a "bust" if he produced at the same pace as Plekanec currently does when Couturier gets to his age.

If you think Couturier becoming a top ranked shutdown center who consistently puts up 20+ goals and averages 50-70 points per season while playing the top lines of the opposition every single game means he is a bust, you need to learn what kind of value such players have in the NHL. Unless you somehow think Couturier will be able to be a Selke caliber forward while putting up 70+ points per season while battling the leagues best forwards game in and game out. Can you name a couple of guys like that for me please?

You also need to examine team needs and values better. For a team looking to win now and in the next couple of years, a guy like Plekanec is more valuable for his veteran leadership and the proven ability to be a top ranked defensive shut down center who produces 50-70 points. For a team looking to rebuild and get better over the next few years with a young core, Couturier is more valuable because of his potential to get as good as or better than Plekanec. For a team like the Flyers, who have a young core and a good group of veterans, Couturier is more valuable than Plekanec because the Flyers ARE very competitive as is and Plekanec is not the piece they need to make a serious Cup run. Different teams have different values and different needs.

Now, adding Subban, the exact type of defenceman the Flyers would love to take and groom and watch develop, along with Plekanec to take over Couturier's role for at least 3-4 more years while only losing Voracek in the same deal would be incredible for the Flyers. Subban and Plekanec are worth more than Voracek and Couturier to a team like the Flyers that have a good core and want to win the Cup now and stay competitive for years to come. The gain of Subban and Plekanec significantly mitigates the loss of Couturier's potential. I hope that is easy to understand.
if you honestly cannot see Couturiers legit potential to be an ELITE shut down center, then i don't know what to tell you. i like Plekanec, i really do. i think he's a good player and a guy i'd like to have on my team if i didn't already have Giroux, Schenn and Couturier. And never did i say Couturier would be a bust if he ended up as good as Plekanec. I think it would be disappointing. I firmly believe that Couturier will win a selke before his career is over. Sure, maybe his offensive numbers end up like Plekanec, but if you honestly are making a big deal and pretending its such a large margin between their defensive play, then you are delusional. Couturier is ALREADY the best defensive forward on our team and he's 20 years old.

Plekanec finished with a -15 last season on a team with one of the best goalies in the league and a GA total of 226.
Couturier finished with a +18 playing on the 3rd and 4th lines on a team with a struggling goaltender and a GA total of 232, while ALSO playing against every teams top lines.

but yeah, we'd be lucky if Couturier developed into the stonewall that Plekanec is...

Last edited by orange is better: 01-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.
orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote