Old
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
From having watched Markstrom a fair bit (I'm a big fan), any situation that doesn't having him playing and playing on a reasonably consistent basis (30 or so games) at the NHL level by the end of next season/start of 2014 is wasting his talent. That's what I define as languishing... an NHL caliber player relegated to back-up duties or AHL time that isn't benefiting them because they are blocked by a highly paid player ahead of them.

If I were a Panthers fan and had a player like Markstrom right now, I would let Theodore/Clemmenson finish the remainder of this season, then approach 2013-2014 as Markstrom's job to lose with some veteran competition in the form of whichever of those two veterans plays better this season. I would be staunchly opposed to acquisition of Luongo at any asset cost.
There is nothing wrong with having Markstrom play out the rest of this year with San Antonio. Theodore is a free agent after this season, and we will have a tandem of Markstrom and Clemmensen going into next season. Markstrom will be a 23 year old next season with three years of experience on NA ice, so I dont think Tallon could have brought him up any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I would give him 1yr as a backup to get used to the NHL, but I agree he's that close to be a #1 goalie.
He's had some experience in the NHL already, and given his experience already, I think he can handle 60-70% of the games next season. Id like to see him brought up with guys like Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Howden, etc., guys who are probably going to be core players for the Panthers.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote