View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
FYI April 5th is the deadline for this season

We are likely to see more trades than last season and teams will try to re-sign most of their free agents before 7/10. No teams are in dire need to make trades. But they may want to so they can stay competitive. Some teams may want to shed contracts because they don't expect/want to re-sign the soon-to-be free agent .: Toronto and Bozak, Connolly, and Lombardi (what I perceive as 3rd line centers for the 'Yotes). 1 team that intrigues me is the Wild with Clutterbuck and Backstrom reaching free agency and Harding as a question mark. I'm sure they would love to get Korpikoski (not advocating, but if the 'Yotes can get Clutterbuck and Setoguchi and only lose Korpi, I would be for it).

According to capgeek, it's a limited NTC. What are the limits? Don't know. I like Stone and see him as the heir apparent to Morris. The Isles have better options than trading an asset (kinda like the 'Yotes) and the only defenders I would like the Coyotes to shop are Summers and/oPor Schlemko and only if the trade improves the roster.
Again, the Wild are not in bad shape. The contracts of Bouchard and Cullen bring the Wild about $3 -4 million below the $64 million floor. They have 3 RFA D who each makes less than $1 million, and their top 2 prospects are a C/LW and D with modest entry-level deals. One of Setoguchi or Clutterbuck may go, but I doubt both would. I'd even say that they would rather deal Backstrom and his huge salary first, and pick up a goalie for about half the price. The idea is right, but the team can,stand pat.

As I have said before those other teams MAY choose to go the route of trades. The teams I mentioned all have scenarios where there is a certain player that they are planning on bringing back, but need to make a move to comfortably do so. I know that I have always advocated a Yandle to Boston trade. Peverley and Boychuk for Yandle is not a move that has to be made, but it is a deal that makes sense for both sides, as Boston has some RFAs coming up, and they would actually clear about $1.8 million in room. Some of that goes to Rask, some goes to a player like Caron, and now the Bruins have the exact same amount to spend on FA as before, but they were able to re-sign players without breaking the bank. Otherwise, they may lose an extension for Caron or Rask, b/c there wasn't a plan in place to see what money needs to go to which player...