View Single Post
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I've never understood this logic. It's as simplistic as saying that there are 210 defensemen in the NHL (7x30) and since the Leafs finished 25th in the League Franson is the 175th best D man in the NHL (7x25).

The truth is Franson is an average D man who did not fit on the team very well last year, but could be effective on other teams (as he was in Nashville) in the right situation.
Spare part on a bad team and not used speaks for itself as to the value he has to the team was my point..

This wasn't a case of Franson being a victim of a strong team depth chart preventing him from playing but rather coach(s) X2 choice in Toronto that made him sit out 1/2 the season on a team with the 29th worst goals against that didn't think he could help them. Now he is unsigned and future uncertain.

If this is the reason really behind eating Lombardi's contract and giving up a 4th round pick in the process then the Leafs didn't get very much value in exchange for the so called doing the Preds a favour and taking advantage of MLSE money at its disposal in an attempt to improve the team itself. .

Personally myself I'd actually like my GM to make moves that improve the team,rather than more Lombardi type deals willing to take on other teams expendables/unwantables simply because MLSE has the financial wherewithal to do so.

Signature: “If you think there’s no pain coming, there’s pain coming,”.. Mike Babcock
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote