View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
marty111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Paying or cap-hit? His payment falls in line. It's fair. His cap hit is a discount.

The only comparables would be other cap-circumvention contracts. Compare it to Zetterberg/Franzen and Kovalchuk or Hossa to your own contentment.
Bleach for goodness sakes, I'm talking about goaltending. Maybe you don't fully understand the new CBA. Whatever is being paid to Luongo [6.7M] and his cap hit [5.3M] will factor into the penalty given out depending on when he retires.

So yes, a team will get him on the cap now at 5.3M [below value] but will be later penalized for it so in effect the savings are gone in the long term.

THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF CAP CIRCUMVENTING CONTRACTS. To get a lower cap hit on a longer deal, NOT being penalized for it when it's all done.

So I ask you, is a goalie at 33 worth close to 7M for the next 6 years? Hell no he's not. That's above market value now and thus Luongo when it's all said and done is a goalie getting paid above market value. Even then there are still 11 years on the contract which is a further detriment to whole concept itself.

I think there's been way too much Luongo and Gillis love going on in Vancouver to realize this. It is official, the contract is not a good one and Gillis made a boo boo here.

I'm not saying he is untradeable but to anyone suggesting that the cap penality makes NO DIFFERENCE is sniffing glue or something.