View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Mowerman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Spare part on a bad team and not used speaks for itself as to the value he has to the team was my point..

This wasn't a case of Franson being a victim of a strong team depth chart preventing him from playing but rather coach(s) X2 choice in Toronto that made him sit out 1/2 the season on a team with the 29th worst goals against that didn't think he could help them. Now he is unsigned and future uncertain.

If this is the reason really behind eating Lombardi's contract and giving up a 4th round pick in the process then the Leafs didn't get very much value in exchange for the so called doing the Preds a favour and taking advantage of MLSE money at its disposal in an attempt to improve the team itself. .

Personally myself I'd actually like my GM to make moves that improve the team,rather than more Lombardi type deals willing to take on other teams expendables/unwantables simply because MLSE has the financial wherewithal to do so.
Franson sat because Gardiner outplayed him. Normally adding a young solid d man who put up 30 points in limited minutes due to being on one of the deepest teams in the league in regards to d for the cost of 7 million that was expected to be an injured Lombardi that wouldn't play and Brett "-3 in a 9 to 3 win" Lebda is a good deal.

And Franson did play well at times when he was used effectively. A legitimate bad move by Burke (Komisarek) and the exceptional play of one Jake Gardiner bumped Franson to the 7th man. He still holds value, he's still a good player, and that trade made total sense to make. I legitimately don't even know how you come up with some of this stuff, no offense meant of course.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote