View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Can someone explain to me why Florida is even in the mix? I mean they already have a solid starter in Theodore. They also have Markstrom who is as close as close can be to NHL ready and he has star potential. Why would Florida take on that contract when they don't even need him? It makes ZERO sense.
Well Theodore's status as a "solid starter" is debateable. He's bounced between good, bad and injured for some time. Markstrom has yet to blow anyone away at the AHL level and has had knee issues. At 22 he's not exactly breaking down the door, could still be a year or two before he's ready for 60-70 games a season. Luongo has proven to be a very good mentor type for young goalies and players. Bringing him in would allow Markstrom another year in the AHL, then some seasoning, then trade bait or figure it out once he's taken the job.

For what happens when you throw a prospect goalie to the wolves, see: Maple Leafs, Toronto.

On top of that there is the PR aspect. Luongo still has star power, lives and wants to be in Florida. He still holds most of their goaltending records as well. Not to mention getting a guy like that legitimizes your team and gives you a shot at the playoffs year in and year out.

I think Florida has a lot of motivation to bring in Luongo, whether or not they do is a complete unknown, like most things regarding this sutuation.