View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I know it's easy to take a run at the Leafs but there's pretty much no question that organization is in better shape now than it was when Brian Burke took over.

Take a look at the opening night roster for the Leafs a few weeks before Burke was hired.

A forward group built around Nik Antropov, Jason Blake, Nik Hagman, Alexei Ponikarovsky and Matt Stajan. A blueline with a rapidly declining Tomas Kaberle, an already-declined Pavel Kubina and nobody else who could even be expected to be an impact player. Vesa Toskala in net.

Here are their top 20 prospects from that fall. For those who don't feel like following the link the top five are Schenn, Kulemin, Tlusty, Pogge and Stralman.

Right now they have two players better than anyone I've mentioned (Kessel and Phaneuf) and some solid young-ish players to go with them, they have some young players with incredibly high ceilings (JVR and Gardiner) on the roster and a collection of other prospects that should produce a few NHLers and probably a key player or two. It's not exactly the class of the league and some of Burke's FA signings are holding the team back right now but that can change (and Burke may have done enough to be rewarded with the right to be around to try to correct his mistakes).

Their goaltending still sucks though.
I should hope so, anyone that loses that much should benefit from the draft eventually. That really isn't saying a whole lot. They simply haven't done what was proper. They didn't rebuild cause Burke quoted 1967 is what the fans have been waiting for and need to get better now. That statement was made when he took over, I'm not sure what year that was but you know the rest, not even a playoff berth since the last lock out. Are they really in better shape with the rebuild Burke did or would have they been better off to have it done properly adding youth and only youth the way Edmonton obviously did or even to look at what Pittsburgh has done addressing their future for the back end. Pittsburgh knows they have the guns up front but to see what they have done to build on their back end is pretty impressive. These are just 2 examples of the right way to do things and see success rather then what Burke has done, sure excited to see how they mishandle Morgan Rielly and his development. Anyways Luongo