View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I don't think that the Wild really wants to put faith in Harding, considering he is diagnosis with MS. I also believe that goalies are measured by the guys in front of them and the goalies ability to trust and predict the 'D'. IMO, ATM, it's unlikely that the Wild will try to acquire a new goalie, but I do expect a discount. So that means re-signing Backstrom and still filling 6 other roster spots for under $7.5 mil. I don't see how they can replace Backstrom for the money that should be offered or if they can trust Harding to step up to #1. Clutterbuck is an ideal Tippet type player, and Setoguchi fills a need and is familiar with the Pacific.
That scenario of Yandle being traded to the Bruins may be (somewhat) fair, but I wouldn't want to trade Yandle unless if it's overpayment and fills needs. While Boychuk would be a good asset, he doesn't fill a need. It would mean moving Morris or Boychuk, so another team may have to be involved to make that scenario work. But I do not advocate trading Yandle until Gormley proves himself. And if Yandle is going to be traded, I hope he goes to the Bruins or 1 of the NYC(metro) teams. He deserves the consideration.
Agreed that they can't put faith in Harding, but Backstrom is a UFA after this season, and his current contract is for $6 million/year. I doubt they bring him back, even if a discount is offered. Losing Backstrom, Cullen, and Bouchard drops their salary to about $55 million, with some RFAs on defense to re-up, won't be more than $2million per yr. A goalie and a bottom 6 guy rounds them out with $7 million to spend. They could get Mason for cheap, sign Cullen to a home-town discount, and still be about $3 million below the cap...