Old
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I'm not a fan of passing off less than 40 games as a meaningful sample when calculating team TOI ranks.

Brown played 33 games in 1982, he shouldn't get credit for being the team's #1 or the blame for them finishing third to last in goals against. Likewise I don't see why you rank him 3rd in 1983 behind 34 games of Mike O'Connell. My #1 that year was Miles Zaharko in only 42 games played so there could even be an argument to be made a #2 rank understates his contribution let alone #3.

You do make a good case for Manery though. I think he should have gotten more fanfare in the all-star votes and as I said before he seems fit for top pairing duty. I just don't at all see the translation into Brown being a second pairing guy. He was rated higher than Smith by our group so is there only one top pairing D in this series?

I'll post similar numbers with the 40 game criterion because I think it's a valuable way of making more sense of the TOI, but I'm interested in throwing in the other defensemen who ranked and the goalies as well.
Good point, I wasn't looking at the GP totals very closely when calculating those, only at the ESTOI column. I was saying that Brown was more comfortable as a 2nd pairing defenseman in real life. He's definitely a top pairing guy here, as are the other 3 in this series.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote