Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
A player of Nash's quality and age isn't available in the everyday NHL market, so while your contention may be right, they aren't often available.

FYI, Melnyk has sold off most of his holdings in Biovail Corp. and is no longer involved with the company.

Besides those ventures I mentioned in an earlier post, Melnyk is involved in Trimel Biopharma Holdings Inc., Fusion Brands Inc., and PurGenesis.
You criticize me for not giving you facts, but based on this information you provided me with, I can reasonably speculate that those companies don't provide Melnyk with anything close to what Biovail did.

Unfortunately being a small market team and having a relatively more stingy owner isn't the only problem; I realize that. Ottawa simply is not a big draw for a lot of guys, for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
What are those reasons you allude to that are based in fact, not speculation?
Just because we don't know the specifics of a given fact (ex: Melnyk's divorce proceedings) doesn't mean it is without value to this analysis. Often, rich people like Melnyk can lose quite a bit of money from divorce proceedings.

Putting all of that aside for the moment though - why Guillaume Latendresse? This is the type of signing the Phoenix Coyotes make. We are a team on the rise, but we also have a decent group right now. Don't you agree?

If we don't put all of our efforts into signing a top defenceman (or two, following the departure of Gonchar) and a top forward in July 2013, then my opinion will have been re-enforced. If we don't go out and make those signings, then clearly Melnyk isn't flush enough. There's a risk that we'd fall flat in spite of those signings, and if Melnyk doesn't make them, it's an indication that he is more risk-averse these days.

What's it going to take for him to take the plunge?

source is offline   Reply With Quote