View Single Post
Old
06-13-2006, 05:37 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
It makes me laugh when Anglos and Allo-phones are considered French Canadians and Quebecois when it serves the needs of the general population (i.e. hockey) but in 99% of the other cases, you are either a "crisse de bloque" or "un immigre".

I am as Quebecois as Luongo, born in MTL of Italian decent, lived here all my life, have an Italian name (Joe Cole is a screen name, an homage to a friend)- and even though I am married to a pure laine francophone, speak and write french everyday, and I am still regularly considered an outsider.

Honestly, I could care less for those with that attitude, it is just ironic and somewhat opportunistic when someone is appropriated into a group because it is advantageous for the given task at hand.

Whatever.

The same issue is happening all around the world right now, it's not just Quebec.

In any case, I want to see the Stanley Cup. The only point I was making is that we all pine for Vinny, but I seem to remember that a few years ago Iginla was on the market. And there are other big starts too: Pronger, Forsberg, etc.

Montreal only pines for the locals. To me it's not a given that a French player will come here and play his heart out because he is playing for the Canadiens. I've seen too many bad French players come through here in the last 10 years to think that way.

I guess it's natural, but I'd have been so happy to see Chris Pronger here, let me tell you. Imagine those games against Toronto and Boston with Pronger in the lineup.

In any case, we don't have a superstar because we gave all our money to Theodore and a bunch of stiffs and now we've given away our money to two aging second liners: Koivu, Kovalev. We can't keep going like this.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote