Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Technically we signed Latendresse in the off-season.

We picked up Methot and Lundin.

It's not as if the Murrays have been standing pat.

A lot of the guys in your list (Doan, Parise) were not going to come here, and a lot of the others are on their last legs in the NHL.

I guess I don't see the huge deal.

I liked Foligno but I didn't see him progress all that much last season. We have a lot of good prospects in the system and depth at forward.

I guess I don't see the big catastrophe.
There isn't one.

The team out performed just about everyone's expectations last year. However a sample size of one does not suggest the timing is right to break the bank unless it is believed there will be an exponential gain.

Stall, Weber, Parise, Suter are a few that might fit the criteria of a building team like the Sens. However teams in transition have to over pay and/or have some other attraction to the city.

Minny, Suter, wife is from Minny - cost $98M,13 years
Minny, Parise, family lives in city - cost $98M, 13 years
Carolina, Jordon Staal, brother Erik - cost $60M, 10 years
Nashville, Weber, Philly offer matched - cost $110M, 14 years

I wonder what Murray would have had to offer to get any of these players to Ottawa?

The cost of attracting young top talent is prohibitive and comes with no guarantees. All four teams in the above examples lost money before these signings, this is not smart business.

There is no upside for the fans if the owner get in financial trouble, the result can only be higher prices, a fire sale of players or the threat of relocation.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote