View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It sounds like anything but three scoring-oriented lines would strike many posters as a failure or a relapse into a Hunter-style system. I don't know that I'd agree.

There's a real issue at scoring wing. Ribeiro ought to be able to turn a 20-goal man into a 30-goal man, and Backstrom will have Ovechkin, but it gets thin after that, to these eyes. I don't really see the personnel to not ice a checking line and an energy line. It would be the best use of personnel (as it stands at the moment, at least).
I'm not sure there's even that 20-goal man that Ribeiro can help tack on another ten. I can't really see Chimera, Laich or Brouwer taking that next step up to 30-goal scorer in a go-to role. That would take some real development and coaching for any of them to evolve into that sort of presence. Wolski would seem like the only guy that might have that sort of break-out potential but who knows what to expect from him. Johansson or Perreault breaking through would be huge but surprising.

In the absence of a highly productive top six they almost have to look to score by committee and it requires as much of a balanced lineup as possible. Whether that third line is Chimera-Laich-Ward tasked to put up a full-season equiv. of ~45 goals or a mixture that includes Wolski, Perreault, Crabb or Brouwer doesn't really matter IMO. It's just that Beagle is probably the last regular forward I'd count on in that capacity.

Who can gain chemistry where under a more aggressive, up-tempo system is perhaps the big question, particularly with little time for trial and error. Maybe they can get by if that's unsettled largely thanks to team defense and clutch special teams but I'd hope Oates can eventually make a difference in improving their offensive habits. He's got his work cut out for him.