View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 01:35 AM
The Red Line

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
The problem I'm observing with their retooling is they haven't gotten a great player in the draft in many years, some decent to good ones I'm sure but no Datsyuk or Zetterberg let alone a Lidstrom, and they were completely shut out in the UFA market. That's because Holland is still trying to sell the Red Wing mystique and expecting top UFAs to sign for less when they now are signin for way more. They don't have an excess of anything to trade and their first rounders are middling at best. They need multiple top players right now especially on defense.

Maybe IF they could retool they may have a couple more good years but I have seen Detroit try to do so and not.
Do you mean they haven't drafted high in many years? Because that is true. They have had the lowest average picks of any team for the past 20+ years.

Yet still they have guys like Smith, Nyquist (if these aren't high-end prospects, what are?), Tatar, Jurco, Almqvist, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul, Mrazek...

If you don't follow prospects, then I can see where your misgivings come from, but to say they have a shallow pool of prospects is simply incorrect.

I also find it funny how people can so easily claim how poor their defense is when they haven't even played a single game together.

Believe it or not, the Wings have pretty darn good depth defensively... what they are lacking is the true #1 dman, however with the depth on D - in terms of actual defenders, forwards and a system that focuses on defence - I don't see how the loss of one player (a 42 year old, who people like to assume retired while still in his prime, which he didn't) will be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking from jealous fanbases. The same wishful thinking I've been hearing for the past 15 years. I guess if you keep it up forever its bound to one day come true....

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote