Old
01-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
where is LIU again??
Not only that. My sister was born in Long Island College Hospital (unrelated to LIU).

Which is, of course, in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
For everyone dead set on keeping the current logo, which I absolutely love and am still sad they are leaving Nassau, it doesn't make sense after the move.

Once they move to the Barclays center, the I pointing to where the Vet is becomes invalid and inaccurate, which I hate on logos. It becomes a classic logo like many others. I don't see how keeping the logo is the key to keeping the fans that are mad about the move.

I also would hate a name change, but just like with the logo, the name Islanders still strikes me as wrong. Yes, Brooklyn is technically on Long Island, but people who live in or are from Brooklyn don't say Long Island.

As a person who is big into logos/unis, it irritates me to have inaccuracies in names and logos. It would kill me to see the Islanders no longer the Islanders and have a new logo, but having a name and logo based on a location that changes loses validity.

Personally I look forward to a Brooklyn jersey and love the original concept harkening to the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Bridge is a great icon and makes a great logo, it would be silly not to utilize it.
I'm probably the polar opposite of you, in that I'm a Brooklyn native, and while my uncle was an Islanders season ticket holder and went to hundreds of games in the 70's and 80's, I've been a Devils fan for as long as I can remember. So to say that I'm true blue (well, orange and blue) with the Isles would be a bit of a stretch.

But I can't fathom the idea of the Islanders changing their name and identity just because they're moving a few miles west.

Sure, a lot of people, myself included, are going to be a lot more interested in the team now that they're out of the Mausoleum. I don't have a car, like many people in Brooklyn, so I've only been there a handful of times. Not to mention, it's a terrible arena. Not that I'm saying anything you don't already know.

I'll go to countless games at Barclays, and unless they're playing New Jersey, I'll be dressed head-to-toe in Islanders gear. They've always been my second team anyway.

But that's just it. It's the Islanders, and their colors are orange and blue. Period. Want to change "New York" to "Brooklyn"? By all means, they can consider that... but to stop being the Islanders is, well, to throw away forty years of history, four cups, and the legacy of where they came from. I don't think Brooklynites or people from Staten Island or Queens will embrace the team any more if they wipe the slate clean and call themselves something else.

Even the Nets, who wanted to entirely change their image with the move to Brooklyn, didn't dare change their name from "Nets" to "New Yorkers" or "Ballers" or whatever the plan-b was, and they haven't had nearly as much success or a devoted fanbase as you have. Keep in mind, they used to play in Long Island, too... but they moved to Jersey because they didn't have enough fans, and then they moved to Brooklyn for the same reason. The Islanders have never had to leave Long Island because of fans. They're leaving primarily because of the building. Getting new fans is an added bonus.

As for Brooklyn-related logos and jerseys, most of the stuff I've seen is pretty awful, but I did like this one:

Sure, it's based off the hated Gorton's fisherman logo, but I think the bridge improves it greatly.

[Summary for those who don't feel like reading some nobody's wall of text: I'm from Brooklyn, but don't change the name or the colors.]

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote