View Single Post
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Shots against is a pretty good indicator of quality of defensive play.

How many teams do you find that are good defensively that give up a ton of shots?
I don't think shots against is a good indicator of quality of play. If you're playing defense and you're keeping everyone relegated to the perimeter and blue line and they're firing shots from there, that can be a little misleading.

The true indicator of defensive play is how many scoring opportunities you're limiting per game. I've seen games where teams have fired 30+ shots on net, but only had four or five real good scoring chances. That is a far more impressive defensive stat.

The biggest problem I see with the Flyers is that they give up an awful lot of good scoring chances. There's usually 10 to 15 a game they give up. That's far too many for a team that's a Stanley Cup contender to be giving up.

With guys like Schenn, Coburn, and Grossmann in the lineup, I really think Holmgren is trying to shift the team's philosophy on the blue line in that he wants Laviolette to play a bit of a tighter system. I don't think he wants neutral zone trap tight, but they need to be better on the defensive zone than they've been.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote