View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
For some reason i highly doubt the Luongo deal is done to Toronto. Im the biggest skeptic of this trade. If Luongo retires at 40 the leafs will have an additional 2m on the cap for 3 years. This (IMO) would drive Burke nuts. I don't feel that Vancouver needs to make this deal right now. Why not wait until the end of the season? With Kesler down, wouldn't a fantastic goalie tandem help the team more then Bozak? Also there is always the trade deadline. No need to rush this thing, unless of course Toronto is by some miracle giving up a kings ransom.
So you think he wouldn't acquire an elite goalie because of a 2M cap penalty 6 years from now? I doubt 2M that far down the road would make a differnce for Burke if it meant a solid chance at the playoffs for the next 3+ years.

I think Gillis realizes that he can get greater value for Luongo with 1 extra season left on his deal while he's in his prime years. Combine that with the fact that the Canucks have a couple holes in their lineup, it seems like the right time to make a move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Luongo is a good goalie, but garddang that contract is loooooong. Acquiring Lou pretty much means goodbye Reimer. Burke would totally be giving up on the kid. BB would be wiser to acquire a vet on a short term deal. Let Reimer observe.
I don't get this line of thinking. Say Reimer pulls a Schneider 3 years from now, and Luongo is still playing well enough to be a good starter on most teams. Don't you think we could move him again? Maybe not for much value, but there should be a market for him if he can perform. And in case he choses to retire (highly unlikely if he is starter material), it would impose a 1M penalty for 6 years. While the term is long, the $ amount isn't that bad, especially if the cap rises.

There are risks involved, but in my opinion, the benefits outweigh them.