View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
As a person diagnosed with ADHD at 9 years and put on ritalin, I can agree with Minimalist's issues on its legitimacy. I became more anti-social and still didn't see any improvement in school or generic attention span. I stopped taking it my last year in high school and got some of the best grades I had there and quickly became more social (though I'm still somewhat awkward even today).

Of course, this is all largely anecdotal, but it definitely had no success with me.

I do, however, have an issue with calling the drugs "synthetic cocaine". They're similar structurally, but they're much different in how they work, their side effects and their tolerance. Using such a term seems to be nothing short of needless fear-mongering. The controversy over it stands strong enough on its own and it's lack of evidence supporting it without needing to try and present it as a type of addictive and dangerous drug.

the problem in your case may not have been the ritalin but you may have been misdiagnosed.

the use of stimulants/amphetimines("synthetic meth" would have been a more apt analogy than "synthetic cocaine") to treat a hyperactivity is so counter intuitive, and yet it works, which leads credence to the hypothesis that ADHD suffereers have neurochemical mechanisms that are different than non-sufferers.

the problem is, ill-behaved children are everywhere, and whereas in the past all you could do for it was parental discipline and supervision, now there is a pill, which takes the responsibility off the parents.... thus parents actually push their unruly kids towards a diagnosis of ADHD, and sadly, doctors bow to the pressure to diagnose it, and so we have a lot of kids getting synthetic stimulants who probably just needed some better parenting.... and this confounds the perceived effectiveness of the ADHD meds.... leading drug companies to come up with new meds, which get foist off on the kids who didt respond to the old meds(because they were misdiagnosed in the first place), yadda yadda yadda and the viscious cycle goes on...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote