View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the problem in your case may not have been the ritalin but you may have been misdiagnosed.

the use of stimulants/amphetimines("synthetic meth" would have been a more apt analogy than "synthetic cocaine") to treat a hyperactivity is so counter intuitive, and yet it works, which leads credence to the hypothesis that ADHD suffereers have neurochemical mechanisms that are different than non-sufferers.

the problem is, ill-behaved children are everywhere, and whereas in the past all you could do for it was parental discipline and supervision, now there is a pill, which takes the responsibility off the parents.... thus parents actually push their unruly kids towards a diagnosis of ADHD, and sadly, doctors bow to the pressure to diagnose it, and so we have a lot of kids getting synthetic stimulants who probably just needed some better parenting.... and this confounds the perceived effectiveness of the ADHD meds.... leading drug companies to come up with new meds, which get foist off on the kids who didt respond to the old meds(because they were misdiagnosed in the first place), yadda yadda yadda and the viscious cycle goes on...
Which is the really weird thing. I was, while very fidgety and didn't really sit still a lot, generally well behaved as a child.

I'm not sure if I was misdiagnosed so as much as my symptoms might have just been something similar to ADHD without being caused by it. Perhaps it was something else, or perhaps it was just the way I was naturally. Though I guess that probably fits the term "misdiagnosis" anyway.

I'm honestly not well-versed enough in psychology or psychiatry to really have any sort of opinion on whether it's a legitimate field or not. I just have my own personal experiences, which really don't amount to anything worthy of a discussion.

Lastly, my issue with the term cocaine wasn't the accuracy (I disagree that meth is more apt...it's much more like cocaine than meth based on the chemical composition and the observed effects on the subjects), it was the mental imagery and the scare tactic that I viewed the use would result in, even if such wasn't intended.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote