Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
With this D, there is likely going to be some riculously high shot counts against. It's a good thing we have 3 goalies that seem to perform well in this scenario. IF there's any stumble out of the gates by Anderson, I wouldn't be surprised if Lehner gets the starts as he's been playing the most.
I'm not sure... Karlsson and Gonchar are better offensively than defensively, but Phillips, Methot, Borowiecki, Lundin are more in the NHL for their defensive game...

It can't be worse than with Kuba, Lee, Gilroy and Carkner... seriously think of it

I don't see the problem with defense at the exception of Cowen missing the season, which is a huge huge blow.

Karlsson = Karlsson
Gonchar = Gonchar

Kuba replaced by Methot
Cowen replaced by ???

Phillips = Phillips
Carkner replaced by by Borowiecki
Lee/Gilroy replaced by Lundin

We lost some offense in the Kuba-Methot swap but gained physical play, skating and potentially defense IMO
We lost some toughness in the Carkner-Borowiecki swap but gained mobility/skating and youth (Carkner was becoming very slow) IMO
We have no idea what we gained in the Lee/Gilroy-Wiercioch swap but we will probably gain something with the potential of being an upgrade
We lost Cowen... ... replaced by Wiercioch?

In conclusion, the worries should be more directed at the offensive side of things, will Wiercioch contribute and be able to replace some of Kuba's production?

Note : Kuba has done well for the Sens (except 2010-11) but it was time to let him go, he is now 35 y/o and a 2-3 years contract wouldn't fit the actual Sens rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Our budget should become much clearer in offseason 2013, or perhaps sooner if teams want to get below the cap early. That'll be the real test.

Here are some wingers we could have signed last summer:

Jagr, Whitney, Parise, Penner, Parenteau, Hudler, Kulemin, Kostitsyn, Doan, etc.

Not to mention, we could have kept Foligno and re-signed Kuba (or any other dman). The move to trade Foligno for Methot was a budget move first and foremost. That trade was inexcusable IMO.
inexcusable? lol wtf?

Dealt from a position of strenght to fill a position of need

We have tons of forward prospects that will be as good or better than Foligno

Also, you can be sure that Murray tried to sign a few of those forwards, but Ottawa isn't exactly a priority destination for most NHL players... That's just the reality : winter, taxes, not a big city, etc. We were outbid by money and other factors

That's why Murray's priority has always been scouting, drafting and developping

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
LOL at thinking the Foligno trade was a budget move, you only have to listen to this morning's McLean interview, he was expendable with this organizations depth at forward, they thought they have players that can replace his production, plus it was a trade from a position of strength to address a need. There were no money issues related to it, that contract is fair for Foligno when he's playing top 6 for Colombus but would look stupid here when he's on the 3rd line and getting paid $3M(kind of like Philips now).
Except that Phillips was 6th in ice-time (4th D) among ALL Sens players last year... Excuse me, but I don't see the stupidity there...

19 pts (5 goals, most were very important), + 12, great job on the PK... lifetime Senator, what's not to like about Chris Phillips? The guy deserve his salary... He never cost an arm and a leg to the Sens, we have cap space. I am happy for him and his family that he isn't underpaid (compared to NHLers of course).

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote