View Single Post
Old
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
FisherKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
It shouldnt shock you at all. The draft is always known to be the time for GM to make big deals since they are all gathered at the same place. Remember the Yashin deal and the Luongo-Jokinen deal?
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to be shocked, but just to be clear, when I talk about a SIGNIFICANT upward movement in draft positioning, I'm talking about going from #16 to something in the #5-#7 range. As I indicated on another thread, I think you are looking at compensation comparable to what the Habs would have to give to get Lecavlier (and no I'm not suggesing that will happen), but using it just for comparison purposes. So the question remains whether there is someone good enough in the #5-#7 to warrant such an investment, and if there is, will one of the teams in that position be willing to trade places. It's the age old dilemma, and usually has the same outcome. Not always, but I'm not betting the farm on the Habs trading up to where they have a realistic chance at a Backstrom, Staal or Bressard. That said, I would love for Gainey to prove my pessimism to be unfounded.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote