View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Shero does want to find a winger for Crosby. I think he's said as much but I agree with those saying the defense is a bigger concern.

I think between Fleury, Vokoun or even Zatkoff they'll find a goalie to play well enough to win. Last year Fleury played horrible in the playoffs but they were stuck with him because Brent Johnson and Brad Theissen played equally terrible all year. That shouldn't be the case this season.

Niskanen Letang
Orpik Martin
Bortuzzo Engelland
Strait/Lovejoy

^ That does not look like a championship defense to me. Especially when you consider that Orpik and Martin need to have bounce back seasons after playing poorly last year and there's no guarantee they will given their ages. I think they need a very good top 4 veteran D-Man more than anything unless a top prospect like Despres comes up and plays lights out. I don't think the other top prospects like Morrow and Pouliot are ready.
Morrow arguably could play now. Pouliot obviously not. But even if a player like Morrow is ready, it brings us back to my primary objection with the whole Shero philosophy. Develope defense and trade the excess as PMD's are in such demand. People forget how cringe worthy Goligoski was when he first came up. He seemingly could not take the puck up ice without coughing the puck up and giving an odd man break the other way. Letang was only slightly better in that regard. Even great players who eventually will become valuable have growing pains. Do the Pens, who many consider to be among the cup favorites, really want to have several rookie defenders learning their craft at this stage of the maturity of the team? It seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote