View Single Post
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I had thought the brace was hindering him; credit to Brian Mitchell for planting that seed in my head.

Screws, really? That sounds archaic and I am not surprised to hear that's where the tears were. I guess they cant do a hair pin shaped clamp, or just sew it, and secure the entire length.
Since I had no idea what the surgery entailed, I checked the Johns Hopkins website and found this synopsis.

The doctor will perform the surgery using an arthroscope (a small tube-shaped instrument that is inserted into a joint). The doctor may reattach the torn ligament or reconstruct the torn ligament by using a portion (graft) of the patellar tendon (that connects the kneecap to the tibia), the hamstring tendon (from the back of the thigh), or other autografts. The tendon graft may come from the person (autograft) or from an organ donor (allograft).

The doctor will drill small holes in the tibia and femur where the torn ligament was attached.

The doctor will thread the graft through the holes and attach it with surgical staples or screws. Bone eventually grows around the graft.
I don't have any idea how a clamp would work or what they could sew the tendon to that would provide the stability needed. Staples sound like they would have lesser chance of causing damage to the replacement ligament, but perhaps some doctors are concerned with them pulling loose. I'm not sure.

As to the last quote, based on what I read on the Hopkins site, it would have surprised me if the previous injury had any impact on the recovery time for this surgery. It is essentially a do-over. I would imagine the recover time would be essentially the same as it was last time.