View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
yes but remeber that Markov had just come back from his second major knee surgery and the Habs were already out of the playoffs. Markov was inthe line up more to get his feet wet than to compete. Many people were saying to leave him out all together until he for sure knew his knee was 100% during the off season.

With his play in the KHL and another summer of rehab, there's no reason now to think his knee isn't at 100% and he canbare the ice time he used to play before the injury. He's averaged more than 21min. a gme in the KHL this year.
Well, there's no reason to believe he's 100% back to form either. 20ish games in the KHL is far from proving anything. Not to mention, he got injured to the upper body during that time. I'm not saying Markov is finished, far from it, all I'm saying is you can't definitively say he's our #1. He needs to prove it, and prove it in the NHL, not the KHL.
This debate however, is pretty useless and stupid. Both PK and Markov are key players for us that need to be at the top of their game. Who'll be more effective is a crap shoot at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I think many people forget just how good Andrei Markov was in his prime. At one time, he was one of the best defenseman in the world, if you ask me.
I certainly didn't forget. I was arguing he was a top 5 D in the NHL during his prime. His vision, passing, defensive skills and overall play was just crazy good. It's a damn shame he got injured just as he entered his prime.
However, Markov has suffered major injuries these past couple years and barely played in the NHL. It's only normal for him to have taken steps backwards, and I don't think 20ish games in the KHL means he can come back in the NHL and be amazing right off the bat.
The one thing he has going for himself is that unlike many other NHLers, he comes into camp having played some hockey, so hopefully that helps him not be a step behind the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Because the Pens have no depth at centre right?
Well then you're contributing our record without Markov to the lack of depth more so than to his presence.
The loss of a #1 D on an average team is undeniable. Imagine our record without PK two years ago? Or heck, even last year despite our already poor record.
You can look at our POs record too, when we lost Markov but had PK, and still beat Pittsburgh, the defending champs.
Having both those guys is amazing. Both can be on par, but because of Markov's injuries and age, it's only normal for PK to be ahead. But that can change if Markov proves to be solid and back to his good ways. In the end however, as I said before, it doesn't really matter, they are both top Dmen.