Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
The trade was a "second best" solution, in light of the fact Melnyk wanted to save money.

Just because we have some nice young forwards doesn't mean we should have traded an established 2nd line forward for a bottom-pairing dman, especially when we could have kept Foligno, dumped Daugavins, and filled the need for another dman through UFA.

But sure, convince yourself that the trade was the best option we had to improve the team. It wasn't, but it made sense from a dollars perspective. Very simple.
I never ever said that the trade was the BEST option... You really need to put words into people's mouth to help your argumentation? lol

I said that it was a "hockey trade", like most trades are. We simply dealt from a position of strenght to fill a position of need... that's it, that's all, very simple like you say.

Marc Methot is young (just a few years older than Foligno), has size and plays a solid physical defensive game. He is a more mobile version of Volchenkov but doesn't come with the highlight reel hits.

Like someone else said, Sens management didn't envision Foligno to play in our top 6 in the future, so instead of paying him over 3.0 to play on the 3rd line, they used him to get a piece they thought was needed on their defensive squad.

Random HF fans see things linear and base themselves on stats while real life managers are more trying to find the right recipe for their team... You have to understand that.

Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Alfredsson, Silfverberg, Latendresse and soon Zibanejad, Stone, Da Costa?, Noesen?, Puempel?, Petersson?, Prince? and even Peter Regin will be options for the Sens in the top-6 instead of Nick Foligno and I'm perfectly fine with that

Also, red Micklebot answer... makes sense

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote