View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Despite being known as a stay at home defenseman, he finished 11th, 6th, and 14th in scoring among defensemen. It's nothing tremendous considering there weren't that many regular defenseman, but the fact that he was known as a stay at home defenseman, but still put up solid point totals, says something.
14th is barely top half if there are 24 regular defensemen, and 11th is certainly nothing that noteworthy. what percentage of the leader did he have?

The 6th is solid though.

Quote:
-He played 8 straight seasons in a league with 8 or 9 teams who had probably 4 regular defensemen. For 8 straight seasons, he was a top 32 defenseman in the world, and he wasn't near the worst in the league.
He actually might have been close.

I took a look at the 1932 season, and taking age and GP into consideration (so I was sure to exclude partial GP, too young, too old players), I count 23 defensemen better than him out of the 32 in the NHL. I have no idea about the other seasons of his career - the ratios should be about the same though.

I’m not trying to cut him down; he’s in a tier of a bunch of guys with 6-9 NHL seasons in the exclusive O6 era (he may have had an advantage due to there being 32 spots instead of the 24 it would later be) and all I’ve really concluded is that Godfrey, Douglas and Hamilton are 1-2-3 in that order. Therefore he belongs, and the key is lasting as long as he did, when he did. But with all that said, we really are at the point of picking players who were, in the context of that 1930-1967 NHL, below average.

Last edited by seventieslord: 01-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote