View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
The problem I'm observing with their retooling is they haven't gotten a great player in the draft in many years, some decent to good ones I'm sure but no Datsyuk or Zetterberg let alone a Lidstrom, and they were completely shut out in the UFA market. That's because Holland is still trying to sell the Red Wing mystique and expecting top UFAs to sign for less when they now are signin for way more. They don't have an excess of anything to trade and their first rounders are middling at best. They need multiple top players right now especially on defense.

Maybe IF they could retool they may have a couple more good years but I have seen Detroit try to do so and not.
Missing out on the UFA market in a single season isn't a big deal in my opinion. If you have the cap space something will come up eventually. On average there's usually about 1 star player a season who falls out of favour with his team and gets traded, and at least 2 big names in the UFA market every summer.

It's a bit of a gamble but sometimes if you have a hole it's better to wait than to rush out and grab whoever is available at the time and end up having to settle with someone like Dennis Wideman for 5 years. And it becomes less of a gamble if you have a strong organization that players actually want to play for.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote