View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I am sure the oilers wouldn't trade their first line center they have been missing for 15 years 2 years after they got him regardless of what they were getting back. Justin schultz and Marincin are great pieces that fit better into the age of the core as well. The things that the oilers are getting back are nice, but This is a robbing peter to pay paul deal for both teams.
1. I don't disagree w/what you are saying, I was just saying in response to reasonable and fair criticism, that the deal works for both and is somewhat balanced. {I'm conceding that Oilers throw in Gernat and Marincin, but in light of what they would be getting from NY, it would not be unreasonable to demand that above and beyond RNH + J. Schultz, IMO.}

2. I agree it is robbing Peter to pay Paul, 2x, but could still be worth it.
For Edmonton, instance balance.
For NY I am gambling Miller fits in w/speedy Ws and is ok, and we are fine at F.

I admit we are momentarily thinner at top of the D particularly, going from stellar and deep to good, but less depth.

There is a huge gamble in what J. Schultz would do defensively. Offensively, he would help resolve a lot of headaches.

However, besides usual Sather ability to get us a temporary D from somewhere, adding cheap Gernat and Marincin is solid move for by next year. On the D side it is going back roughly 4 now to come back barely 1 now, but with upside from improving J. Schultz and Gernat and Marincin the balance is made up in reasonably short time.

And the offense is improved.
Acquiring RNH would create flexibility as to Brad Richards.

3. I don't agree with the saying when neither side is happy with a deal, it was inherently a good or fair deal or a win win for everyone.

This was clearly uneven, but I believe the end results on balance were good for both teams.

In conclusion, there is no consensus right answer; an argument can be made both for and against for both teams, both of which gained and lost.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote