Old
01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Exactly. The frustration was palatable.

To be fair, it probably sounds like I'm not giving BB enough credit. I really liked what he did defensively. The team played better defensively(as a team) than they had, probably since 2009. I felt like there was better puck support down low, better coverage in the middle, and an improved breakout as a result of said support. Carlyle's system seemed designed around the capabilities of Niedermayer, and even Pronger as well. I didn't think he adapted as well to the lesser talent he ended up with(though the pairing of Lydman-Visnovsky was really something for that one season). I was less pleased with Boudreau offensively, I'll be honest. However, he really seemed to get the players excited again, and that is worth something. The depth players, especially, seemed to step up. That the big guns didn't do the same, and the way Boudreau tried to play certain players, makes me a little nervous. It's one thing to let players do their own thing(which was the case in Washington at first) but it's quite enough to get the best out of your players with whatever system you put into place.
I'm hoping last year was an experiment as much as anything, where the season was largely written off and so he was seeing what players were capable of, not necessarily using them in the optimal fashion. After a year, hopefully he has a workable system with the people he has. The defense should certainly be different with the additions that were made.

Agreed about Hiller being the biggest difference last year. He should also have a VERY motivated team to work with.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote