Flyers interested in Luongo?
View Single Post
01-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Join Date: Feb 2012
from Adrian Dater:
The Flyers are scheming to figure out a goalie situation as follows...
Keep in mind: this may not work. But the Flyers' thought process as of Wed. night about their goaltending situation is as follows: they trade for Roberto Luongo, then:
1. Secretly hope that Ilya Bryzgalov retires to the KHL right away.
2. But with his huge contract making that about a 1% chance of happening...
3. Just barely sneak Luongo's $5.3 million cap hit under the cap level of $70.2 million for this season, and go with a goalie tandem for this short season of Luongo-Bryzgalov. This assumes that Chris Pronger's nearly $5 million cap hit comes off the books this year, because of LTI relief. (Long Term Injury).
4. If they don't win a Stanley Cup with that tandem they...
5. Buy out one of the two contractually. That leaves the other standing as the No. 1 guy, and then they can worry more about getting under the $64.3 million cap for next year.
Bottom line: don't be fooled into believing that the Canucks have a lot of leverage in any trade for Luongo. He's an older goalie who has the same general level of non-success in the playoffs as Bryzgalov. But the fact is: the Flyers now deeply regret signing Breezer to the deal they did. They will publicly proclaim their faith in him still. But their eyes didn't deceive them: he was brutal in the playoffs, and much of last year's regular season. They are tired of his Rodney Dangerfield act in many ways.
They are very curious what it will take to get Bobby Loo on their roster, and what it will take to make it work
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by GretzkysOffice