View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He had 29 goals last year. If that isn't a top-6 forward I am not sure what is. And that is only taking into consideration the offensive side of the puck.
He scored 16 goals ES last season, all while being centered by Brad Richards for the majority of the season. Is he of top 6 quality? Absolutely. He's a a decent top 6 winger at ES.

Your last point only adds to mine though. His best quality is his defensive play. I want him shutting down the other team's best forwards, all while adding a scoring punch.

A third line of Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan would provide a very nice mix of grit, scoring ability, and shut-down ability. Kreider, despite being a worse player than Callahan at this stage of his career, needs a good playmaker to be at all effective, and I would not want him playing 3rd line shutdown minutes to begin with. In addition, he showed chemistry with Stepan. Also, as an aspiring power forward, there is no one better to learn from than Rick Nash.

Hags clicked extremely well with Gabby and Richards, and can do so while spreading the wealth at other lines.

Hagelin-Richards-Gabby
Kreider/Nash-Stepan-Nash/Kreider
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpren-Asham

Kreider played RW at BC, and Torts could decide he wants Nash on the LW since Stepan is a right-handed shot. They are interchangeable on that line, imo.

Cally will still get his time where he is best- on the PP and the PK, and in a shutdown role. 3rd line minutes would also allow him to preserve his body- he isn't getting any younger- and the style of game he plays makes him deteriorate all the faster.