View Single Post
Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yeah, I don't buy that argument. Hockey players will always be hockey players and play through discomfort, pain and even severe injury. More than anything doctors are keeping them from playing because of our increased awareness of injuries. Funny, I was watching the Broadstreet Bullies documentary and watching some of those vicious hits from that era when only a few players wore helmets. For example, when Robinson checked Doernhofer into the boards so hard his head rattled off the glass. How could Doernhofer not have a concussion? How many of those guys played through major concussions because of the attitude back then? How could Schultz even hold a hockey stick with the amount of fights he was in punching helmets, teeth and skulls? So I'd say its relative. The speed and equipment of today is causing just as many injuries as back then, but we are more cautious about letting players play through the injuries. Insurance companies, I'm sure, play a major role in this.
There is no doubt though that there are many more collisions in the NHL now than there ever was.

Recently retired players like ray Ferraro have attested to this and we have film and statistics as well.

some people like to argue that the time and space isn't different but it surely is and there is a lot of evidence supporting it.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote