View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Whoa, LOL. I dislike Burke, but he knows how to build a hockey team, IMO. He should've stayed with Anaheim.
Does he? I don't think that's a given. In his two stints as GM prior to the Toronto job, he inherited clubs that both had decent pieces on the roster and in the system. He deserves credit for the big moves he DID make to vastly improve those rosters (the Sedins in Vancouver and Niedermayer/Pronger in Anaheim were probably his best moves) he did not "build" those teams.

He was given the authority and the money to do as he pleased in Toronto, and most importantly, he was given the biggest spotlight in the hockey world. And he promptly screwed it all up. I'm still baffled as to why he didn't take a more patient approach...it's possible he's just not capable of it, or he grossly underestimated just how badly the Leafs had been mismanaged prior to his arrival. Oh, and he promptly made the same exact same mistakes that ultimately ended his tenure in Vancouver--he stayed loyal to a lousy coach and saddled the team with unreliable goaltending.

He bailed from Anaheim at the right time, and I don't blame him for doing so. Samueli was being indicted, the money was drying up, and things were going south in a hurry.