Thread: Value of: Brian Burke
View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
In all fairness, my dog could have GMed the Leafs and produce an organization with more depth & skill than the Leafs had 4 years ago.
The team Burke took over might not have been able to make the AHL playoffs.

If you want to sing Burke's praises, that's fine, but you'll need to go deeper than "they're better now than they were then".
And with what Burke had to work with the Leafs should be a lot farther ahead then they are.

During the great Wings rebuild in the 80's (Arguably a different time but the principal of mixing young drafted players and veteran free agents still works) a last place team wound up in the playoffs in year 2 or 3. They didn't have a lot of success once they were there (It took a while to get past the first round or two) but it was something to build on.

And yes, a lot of us have pets and living room furniture that could have done a better job than Burke but many of us have been saying that (And getting crapped on for it) since he was hired.

So to answer the question as to Burke's value: Extremely low right now. If I were to have a beer with him right now I'd suggest he follow Doug MacLean into the media world.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote