View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I disagree, not about strome but about Okposo and Bailey. Yes, they have not reached thier potential(Hopefully), howver they are very much established NHL Players at this point. Both having played in the NHL for 3+ years. I think they could earn a spot on just about any team in this league. Is there things they need to work on, YES. Are they still waiting to break-out, I would say yes. But established they are and thats more than Strome at this point. From that viewpoint there is alot of things that could be passed on by Bailey and Okposo, such as how to cope with struggles, work ethic (Because both know how to work hard!) etc.

Little suprising fact. The Players on this team with Most Career games played are Reasoner with 767, then Boulton with 600GP, then Boyes with 558GP, and Striet with 443. Bailey and Okposo have 291 and 271GP respectively.
I understand your point, and I made the same point a few posts back saying that Strome would be in a far better situation on the team than those before him. Bailey with Sim, Hilbert, Hunter, etc was totally set-up to fail but Strome coming into a team with Tavares leading the offense, a year older than Bailey was, playing with guys like Okposo & Bailey would have a much higher chance of success - no doubt about it.

The Isles are a really bad team on paper (computer?) and they're probably a lottery team unless a lot of "what ifs" happen (just like the last five years). So is this YET ANOTHER year to "experiment" with young players and have them take their lumps in the pro game?

OR, do we start the process of having prospects dominate (or at least prove themselves) at every level (including minor PRO - like AHL or men's leagues in Europe like the SEL, KHL, etc) before they are given NHL jobs?

I'm not sure I know the answer. Sadly, it's too late to bring in a proper defense and two good forwards so is it better to overplay Boulton or pick-up Jeff Finger and Mark Eaton? Or do we go with Donovan and Ness?

I think the Isles have more options at forward than on defense. I can see Ullstrom and probably Cizikas earning jobs at forward (along with Joensuu) - they're not 19. But Strome has a lot of room to grow both physically and in his overall game. While I don't mind a 5 game test, I don't think he should stick around the way Nino did last year.