View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post

He is absolutely your number 1 centreman at the moment, and were he to be your #2 C, you would be a pretty damn good team.
I'm not saying he's not our best centre. Or that compared to the league average he's not a good #2.

I just hear too many people say he's a "very good second line centre". But the real benchmark in these types of comparisons SHOULD be SC Champions.

It's like the debates for #1 Defenceman. Some people consider any D who is top 30 in the league to be a #1 D. Personally I would say an average #1 D is the average out of the top D from SC Champion teams. Aka the average out of Doughty, Chara, Keith, Gonchar, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc.

Because if you're comparing yourself to the average from SC Champions, if a player in any position is below the average for recent SC winners, then that player is actually a negative when considering a battle for the SC, even if theyre better then the league average.

At least that's how I assess players/team building. SC Champions should be the benchmark, otherwise what you're aiming for might be good enough for playoffs, but not necessarily to win it all.

Grabo can provide some good secondary scoring and is pretty competent two-ways.. but not good enough to even play on the PK, one of the worst PKs in the league mind you. It's more that he just doesn't regularly cough the puck up and back-checks. Admirable qualities and definitely good things, but it's not like he's a defensive machine or at all close to Selke calibre. ~55 points from your 2nd C who doesn't play on the PK isn't anything to write home about.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote