Old
01-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windjackass View Post
I'll go on record saying Derek Engelland owns that 5th D spot. I'll bet they rotate the 6th D spot quite a bit this season with all the good D-men in the pipeline. Pittsburgh has excellent D depth second to maybe only Boston in the EC.
The problem is, Engelland just isn't that good. And the coaches know it, he's better as a #7. It appears that Despres will be given every opportunity to make it and Bortuzzo has played well in the AHL. They need guys with higher ceilings that can handle a big stage, Engelland can't do it. So, while he may have an inside track right now, unless there's a change in his play (unlikely given his age and limitations), the organization wants to groom some better players for that spot or those spots...

If it were at all feasible, I'd like to put Engelland, Lovejoy, Strait, Bortuzzo and to a lesser extent, Grant and Sneep into the mix at some point and keep one...flush the rest. Whoever steps up gets a job, the rest can get out of the way of the good prospects coming up...

EDIT: Maybe Despres won't be given every opportunity after all...

Last edited by Mike Farkas: 01-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.